Exemplory case of comparison essay the theory is that of literature: the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism
Literature is a unique style of art that can help to comprehend the present-day history also to understand how the key tendencies of social development in past times were created.
Talk about formation of designs at the start of essay
The looks of classicism, which developed in Western European culture at the end of the seventeenth century, determined the ideological content of literary works, the strict system of poetic rules and also the axioms of plot construction, reflecting the thought of orderliness and perfection of this universe, nature and society.
The “sensitive” literature of sentimentalism that emerged within the last half for the eighteenth century was designed to show and educate on examples and pictures that cause empathy, which awakens high feelings, guided by the proven fact that all evil may be overcome.
In our literary works up to the beginning of the XIX century, classicism and sentimentalism developed, complementing one another and pursuing the same goal: to help make society perfect, by affirming the rational principles of morality together with rules of human behavior. Techniques to achieve this goal in the philosophy of classicism were thought as the assertion associated with the supremacy of order, form, hierarchy and were according to an obvious division of artistic styles and genres. The theorists of classicism paid special attention to drama and poetry. Epic poems and tragedies in which the foundation of this plot is without question important historical occasions, and actors – the gods and strongest for this globe, demanded a lofty poetic composition, ruled spatial turns. These were caused by the “high” genre.
The spoken language and stylistically lowered images could only be contained in satires, fables and comedies, which fixed the definition of “low” genres. Obligatory observance of this unity of the time, place, action and rules of constructing tragedy and drama with exposure, zygote, development of action, culmination and resolution limited the chance of stage-based discovery of images, but emphasized the inviolability of order, the text of cause and effect, quality expression regarding the main idea of the job. Sentimentalism allowed more freely to utilize the method of artistic expression. Attention to household details, a description of psychological experiences, the image associated with internal world of man and their closeness to nature demanded and new literary forms. The epistolary genre, sentimental novel, travel notes can be found in the literary works. The development of sentimentalism greatly expanded the number of choices of artistic prose and managed to make it more democratic: the eye of both authors and visitors was the fate of a regular person, clear, near, causing interest and compassion.
To conclude of essay give brief comparison of styles
Thus, the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism can be as follows:
- The main topic of the image into the works of classicism are very important, significant activities that determine the fate of someone who is obliged to obey the established order plus the determined course of events.
- Within the center of attention of authors – sentimentalists – the inner world of heroes, with the capacity of deeply feel and experience.
- Classicism is really a literary trend in which the basis of this artistic method could be the division of works into “high”, “medium” and “low” genres.
- Sentimentalism doesn’t have such a division, because its task is always to teach the sensory faculties, using a wide range of visual opportinity for this purpose.
- The primary genres of classicism are the epic poem, tragedy, ode, drama, heroic tale, comedy, satire and fable.
- Genres attribute of sentimentalism are a definite novel, letters, diaries, travel notes.
- Classicalism argued educational ideas based on the subordination of personal feelings of debt to society.
- Representatives of sentimentalism considered the inner world of heroes as a harmonious whole.
- They thought that educating a single individual, you can easily increase the whole society.